Sunday, September 26, 2010

Greeting from the Jack Bates!


Hello!
I haven't posted for a bit as I am out off the coast of Western Australia on the Jack Bates semi-submersible drilling rig. I have been doing quite a lot out here. I caught samples coming off the shakers for this last well, The Grafter-1. The task was interesting as we are drilling with synthetic oil based mud out here, and as such I had to wear rubber boots, a tyvek suit, and long rubber gloves. The samples were taken off the shaker boars and placed into sieves, they then had to be washed in base oil, detergent, and water. The trick I learned was to then take the sieve over to the shaker and place it right up against it to allow the vibrations to shake out all the water and get the samples fairly dry. I then had to take a small sample out for the well site geologist to look at and place the rest in a sample bag. Two full sample bags were then tied together and then slung over the drying rack. It is very loud and very warm in the shaker house, add to that the fact that I was basically wearing a plastic bag and you get the idea. It was fun though. After we reached TD I was able to go and watch all the wireline logging tools get rigged up and then sat in the logging unit to watch all the data come in. We only ran an RCI on this hole to take fluid samples. After the logs were run I watched the tools get laid down on the deck and then checked the serial numbers on the sample jars to insure all the records were correct. I also was able to watch the opening pressure test. That was fairly neat as the pressure told you whether or not there actually was a sample in the tube, and also whether there was water oil or gas in it. Yesterday they let me climb up to the very top of the derrick, known as the crown block. That was fun but a bit tiring. The view was excellent and I thank the roughneck who took me up for explaining all the safety gear to me. This next hole I am going to get to do some wellsite geology, watch some of the drilling, and potentially see the sidewall cores. Should be fun! There is also lots of marine life around the rig. So far I have seen loads of tuna, dolphin fish, tiger sharks, and a hammerhead. Pictures will be uploaded when I get back to land! See you all soon.
Brianne

No comments:

Post a Comment