Saturday, October 16, 2010

I'm on a boat, or I was on a boat...






Hey everyone,

Finally back from 3 weeks and 2 days aboard the Jack Bates. I had so much fun and learned a bunch. Life on the rig can get fairly monotonous but there is TV, Internet, and ping pong so you can find ways to change it up. I was working as a sample catcher to keep my spot out there as the rig has a max capacity due to lifeboat numbers. It wasn't too bad, although I had a bad reaction to the synthetic based drilling mud they use. Chemical burns are no good, but I'm all better now. Being an operations geologist, we ask a lot of the mudloggers and wellsite geologist and I was able to see exactly what those requests entail. I can say that I will think twice about sample intervals after my experience.

I was able to see exactly what goes on in the logging unit, caught and washed samples, and attended the morning meetings. I got to drive a crane (over the water where no one could be hurt), saw the moon pool, pressed the button that set off the air guns for the down hole seismic survey, took a mud weight, watched the leak off test, and watched all the mud chemistry readings. I think I even learned things that my brain is still processing.

The rig had a really nice gym so I tried to go there everyday after my 12-12 shift. I have to say the gym was essential because they feed you all the time and the food is sooo good. I think I gained like 10lbs out there! The helideck was a nice place to take a walk or go for a run, though I felt like a hamster running in a wheel out there.

The rig was always surrounded by large tune, mahi mahi, and sharks. I saw some everyday sharks and a huge hammerhead. In the event of an evacuation I decided to let everyone else jump first to feed the sharks, and then go last :)

So the whole experience was awesome, and hopefully I'll get to go back offshore at some point in the future. For now I am enjoying the time back in Perth and look forward to seeing more of Australia. More updates and photos to come!

Brianne

No comments:

Post a Comment