Sunday, November 14, 2010

Ayers Rock (Uluru)- Day 1






I boarded my plane to Ayers Rock and was lucky enough to have a window seat. Two and a half hours later I was flying over the rock and its neighbor The Olgas (Kata Tjuta). The view was breath taking and I was so excited to start the trip. I couldn't help but notice how green it was, rather than the red I was expecting. When I arrived I asked if it was usually so green as the area is dubbed "the red center". The guy at the desk said they have had 10 times the annual rainfall and thus everything is in bloom. Apparently there are flowers that people haven't seen in decades! I stayed at the Lost Camel hotel in Yulara village, which is the only village in Ayers Rock. It was soooo hot and the power was out for maintenance so I chose to put my stuff away, but on a bathing suit and hit the pool until I needed to get ready for my sunset dinner. The pool was lovely and a great place to chat with other travelers as everyone had the same idea! I went to shower and change for my sunset dinner. We boarded the bus and drove out into the dunes where we had champagne and snacks to watch the sunset. After sunset we ate kangaroo and emu and lovely salads. Then we were serenaded with a didgeridoo and given a star talk. While the guide was talking about the southern hemisphere's stars the most amazing shooting star lit up the sky. It was so bright and then it broke into little pieces. I've never seen anything like it ever. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment